Louisiana Public Service Commission Seal

Motor Carrier - Household Goods Moving

Consumers Moving Household Goods Within Louisiana

If you are moving household goods from one location within Louisiana to another location within Louisiana, the move is regulated by the Louisiana Public Service Commission ("LPSC"). Please ensure that the mover you have retained to move your household goods is registered and in good standing with the LPSC. You may contact the Transportation Division of the LPSC with any further questions before your move. In the event that you experienced sub-standard service during your move or you have discovered that the mover you retained was not registered with the LPSC, you may file a complaint with the Transportation Division and an investigation will be opened.

Louisiana Public Service Commission

Transportation Division
Post Office Box 91154
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70821-9154


Notice: Pursuant to General Order dated July 12, 2013; all customers have the right to a written estimate from their household goods mover. The customer may elect to waive this right so long as the waiver clearly notifies the customer of the right to a written estimate. Additional consumer protections are available pursuant to the General Order. Please click the link below to view General Order dated July 12, 2013.

General Order dated July 12, 2013 - Estimates Required by Household Goods Carriers

Household Goods Movers that are currently registered with the LPSC may be researched as detailed in the following link. Commission Staff can confirm whether there are outstanding fines or citations against a carrier should you request that information.

Search Household Goods Movers HERE

All household goods moves across state lines

If your intent is to move your household goods from one state to another, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has jurisdiction over this type of move. You can contact the FMCSA with any questions at 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238). You are also encouraged to visit www.protectyourmove.gov in preparation of your interstate move.

Relocation Companies and Third-party Moving Services

Please be advised that La. R.S. 45:164.E requires all intrastate movers of household goods to secure a common carrier certificate from the Louisiana Public Service Commission ("LPSC") prior to engaging in any activities related to moving household goods.

Relocation companies and third-party moving services who utilize non-certificated carriers in Louisiana are subject to citation by the LPSC for knowingly assisting in the violation of the LPSC's orders.

CLICK HERE for a copy of the letter to Relocation Companies and Third-party Moving Services